I live in Denmark and is able to take an education for free. I am currently studying Digital Design and Interactive Technologies on the IT Univercity of Copenhagen. I know education can be really expensive in other countries so I have decided to upload my curriculum from my first semester of my masters (Fall of 2018). This will give people an insigt to what we learn about design on a university that you proberly don’t learn on more hands-on sites like codeacademy or lynda. If you find a text you wan’t to read you have to search for it. I can’t share them due to copyrights, but I am confident most of them exist somewhere on the web.
On my first semester I had the following 3 courses.
Advanced Design Processes
• plan, conduct and reflect on digital design processes from a design theoretical foundation
• choose between appropriate design methods and techniques based on knowledge about the context of use and type of design process
• discuss and reflect on the use of analytic and practical design tools in the process in a user-oriented design perspective
• develop and analyze functional prototypes and reflect on the use of interactive technologies as a design material
• present findings from the design process, argue for, evaluate and critically assess the value of their design to an academic and professional audience
• use the insights from the process to reflect on the development of their own design ability
Users in Context
• relate the use of digital media platforms, services and designs to a broader historical context and the cultural history of digital technologies
• discuss different theoretical perspectives on social services and user cultures
• account for relevant methodological approaches to the study of users in context, including ethical considerations
• independently select the most relevant theories and methods for use in their own case study, and in continuation thereof independent selection and present an original research question and research design
• systematically analyze own-found empirical data using the concepts, theories and methods they have acquired in the course
Prototyping Interactive Technologies
• Use current industry-standard mobile application prototyping tools and frameworks in the design for mobile interaction
• Apply standard design guidelines and best practices in the prototyping for mobile interaction
• Apply Usability and User Experience design principles and methods in the prototyping for mobile interaction
• Analyze and discuss mobile interaction and mobile practices as part of rich physical and social settings
Advanced Design Processes
- Andersen, T. (2014). Designantropologiske undersøgelser af Patient 2.0. Tidsskrift for Forskning I Sygdom Og Samfund, (21), 77-107.
- Bardzell, J. (2018). A Practical Guide to Design Critique. Indiana University. (5s)
- Buchanan, R. (1992). Wicked Problems in Design Thinking. Design Issues, 8(2), pp 5-21.
- Dalsgaard, P., Dindler, C. and Fritsch, J. (2013): Design Argumentation in Academic Design Teaching, short paper in proceedings of ”Experiments in Design Research”, Nordic Design Research Conference (NORDES), 2013, pp. 426-429.
- Dourish, P. (2006). Implications for design. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human Factors in computing systems (pp. 541-550). ACM
- Dunne, A., & Raby, F. (2013). Speculative everything: design, fiction, and social dreaming. MIT Press. Kapitel 3.
- Fritsch, J. (2009): “Understanding Affective Engagement as a Resource in Interaction Design”. Proceedings of “Engaging Artifacts”, Nordic Design Research Conference (10s).
- Fritsch, J. (2018): Affective Interaction Design at the End of the World. Proceedings of the Design Research Society (DRS) Conference in Limerick, Ireland, pp. 896-900.
- Iversen, O. S., Halskov, K. & Leong, T. W. (2012): Values-led participatory design, CoDesign, 8:2-3, pp. 87-103.
- Lottridge, D., Chignell, M. and Jovicic, A. (2011). Affective Interaction: Understanding, Evaluating, and Designing for Human Emotion. Reviews of Human Factors and Ergonomics, Vol. 7, 2011, pp. 197–237.
- Løwgren, J. & Stolterman, E (2007): Thoughtful Interaction Design: A Design Perspective on Information Technology, MIT Press
- Nielsen, H. K. (2015). Kritisk Teori. In S. Brinkmann & L. Tanggaard (pp. 373-388). Hans Reitzels Forlag.
- Pedersen, J. (2016) War and peace in codesign, CoDesign, 12:3, pp. 171-184.
- Pedersen, L. R. (2018). Fact Finders: Knowledge Aesthetics and The Business of Human Science in a Danish Consultancy, PhD Dissertation, University of Copenhagen – chapter 1 (30s).
- Redström, J. (2008). RE:Deﬁnitions of use. Design Studies, 29(4), 410-423.
- Schön, D. A. (1987): Educating the Reflective Practitioner. Jossey-Bass Publishers. I skal læse kapitlerne 1,2 og 7
- Ryan, G. W., & Russell Bernard, H. (2003). Techniques to Identify Themes. Field Methods, 15(1), 85–109.
- Sengers, P., & Gaver, B. (2006). Staying Open to Interpretation: Engaging Multiple Meanings. Proceedings from Design and Evaluation Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Designing Interactive Systems, University Park, PA, USA New York, NY, USA. Pp. 99-108.
- Stolterman, E. & Nelson, H. G.(2012/14): The Design Way: Intentional Change in an Unpredictable World, MIT Press
- Suchman, Lucy (2000) ‘Located Accountabilities in Technology Production’, published by the Centre for Science Studies, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YN, UK (12s).
- Vallgårda, A. (2014). Giving form to computational things – Developing a practice of interaction design. Personal Ubiquitous Computing, 18(3), 577-592.
- Verbeek, P.-P. (2008). Cyborg intentionality: Rethinking the phenomenology of human–technology relations. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences, 7(3), pp 387-395.
- Zimmerman, J., Forlizzi, J. and Stolterman, E.
(2010): “An Analysis and Critique of Research
through Design: towards a Formalization of a
Research Approach. DIS’10: Proceedings of the 8th
ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems,
ACM, New York, pp. 310-319.
Users in Context
- Sheldon, P. & Bryant, K. (2016). Instagram: Motives for its use and relationship to narcissism and contextual age. Computers in Human Behavior, 58, 89-97.
- Silverstone, R.; Hirsch, E and Morley, D. (1992). Information and Communication Technologies and theMoral Economy of the Household in Hirsch, E. & Silverstone, R. (eds.), Consuming Technologies – Media and Information in Domestic Spaces (pp. 15-30). London & New York, Routledge.
- Windahl, S. (2013). Uses and gratifications – look-up in Kolstrup, S.; Agger, G.; Jauert, P. & Schrøder, K.(eds.) Medie- og Kommunikationsleksikon, Samfundslitteratur.Prototyping Interactions
- Light, B., Burgess, J., & Duguay, S. (2016). The walkthrough method: An approach to the study of apps. New Media & Society,1–20. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444816675438
- Jørgensen, K.M. (2016). The media go-along Researching mobilities with media at hand. MedieKultur. Journal of Media and Communication Research, 32(60), 32–49. Retrieved at http://ojs.statsbiblioteket.dk/index.php/mediekultur/article/view/22429/20840
- Tiidenberg, K. (2018). Research Ethics, Vulnerability, and Trust on the Internet. In Second International Handbook of Internet Research, 2-12. Retrieved at https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2005.02.001 This short doc helps you consider how to structure, frame and be in an interview: Strategies for Qualitative Interviews (fra Harvard.edu).
- Robards, B., & Lincoln, S. (2017). Uncovering longitudinal life narratives: scrolling back on Facebook. Qualitative Research, 17(6), 715–730. Retrieved at https://doi.org/10.1177/1468794117700707
- Chadwick, A. (2013). The Hybrid Media System: Politics and Power. An Ontology of Hybridity (pp.10-28) Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sandvik, K. (2018). Tværmediel kommunikation. Producent-, bruger- og hverdagsperspektiver. Tværmedial kommunikation i et brugerperspektiv (pp. 85-110), Frederiksberg: Samfundslitteratur.
- Miller, V. (2008). New Media, Networking and Phatic Culture. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 14(4), 387–400. Retrieved at https://doi.org/10.1177/1354856508094659
- Møller, K., & Petersen, M. N. (n.d.). Bleeding boundaries: Domesticating gay hook-up apps. In R.
- Andreassen, K. Harrison, M. Nebeling, & T. Raun (eds.), New Media – New Intimacies: Connectivities, relationalities, proximities, London: Routledge.
- Massanari, Adrienne L. (2015). Participatory Culture, Community and Play; learnings from Reddit (pp.19-65) New York, NY: Peter Lang.
- Trammell, M. (2014): User investment and behavior policing on 4chan, First Monday, vol. 19 (2). Retrieved at http://ojphi.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/4819/3839
- Baym, N.K. (2015). Communities and Network. Personal Connections in the Digital Age (pp. 72-91), Cambridge: Polity Press
- Gotved, S. (2017). 20 år med Tolkien: Forandrede fællesskaber på nettet. MedieKultur: Journal of media and communication research, vol. 33 (63),130-149.
- Warner, M. (2002). Publics and Counterpublics (abbreviated version). Quarterly Journal of Speech, 88(4), 413–425.
- Giddens, A. (1984). Elements of the Theory of Structuration in The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration (pp. 1-34), Cambridge, Polity Press. Chapter 1,
- Gerlitz, C., & Helmond, A. (2013). The like economy: Social buttons and the data-intensive web. New Media & Society, 15(8),1348-1365
- Kammer, K. (upubliceret manuskript). Resource Exchanges and Data Flows between News Apps and Third Party Actors.
Prototyping interactive technologies
Figma Tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQsVmhSa4X-G3lHlUtejzLA/videos
Whimsical: “Getting Started” guide forefindes når man logger ind på sin Whimsical konto
Pagedraw: Pagedraw intro (The Pagedraw site):
Phonegap getting started (The Phonegap site) :
PhoneGap Developer App (The Phonegap site) :
Thinking in React (The ReactJS site) :
Hello World,(Afsnittene 1-6) (The ReactJS site):
Tutorial: Intro to React, (til og med Overview afsnit) (The ReactJS site):
Components and Props (Afsnittene 4,5,6 og 10) (The ReactJS site):
Articles & Blogs
- Marion Buchenau and Jane Fulton Suri. 2000. Experience prototyping. In Proceedings of DIS ’00, Daniel Boyarski and Wendy A. Kellogg (Eds.). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 424-433
- Keith Cheverst, Keith Mitchell, and Nigel Davies. 2002. Exploring Context-aware Information Push. Personal Ubiquitous Comput. 6, 4 (January 2002), 276-281.
- Elizabeth F Churchill, Rochelle King, Caitlin Tan. Introducing a data mindset, in Designing with data, O’Reilly Media inc. Apr.2017, pp.33-46
- Constantinos K. Coursaris, Dan J. Kim. A Meta-Analytical Review of Empirical Mobile Usability Studies. Journal of usability studies . vol.6, Issue 3, May 2011, pp.117-171
- Nir Eyal: How to build habit-forming products. Penguin Books Ltd, June 2014, pp.5-26
- Denzil Ferreira, Jorge Goncalves, Vassilis Kostakos, Louise Barkhuus, and Anind K. Dey. 2014. Contextual experience sampling of mobile application micro-usage. In Proceedings of MobileHCI ’14. ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp. 91-100.
- Maia Jacobs, Henriette Cramer, and Louise Barkhuus. 2016. Caring About Sharing: Couples’ Practices in Single User Device Access. In Proceedings of GROUP ’16. ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp.235-243.
- Ron Miller. Pagedraw UI builder turns your website design mockup into code automatically. (The Techcrunch Feb. 2018): https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/28/pagedraw-ui-builder-turns-your-website-design-mockup-into-code-automatically/
- Sadie Plant. On the Mobile, the effects of mobile technologies on social and individual life, Motorola, Chicago, 2001
- Alex S. Taylor and Richard Harper. 2002. Age-old practices in the ‘new world’: a study of gift-giving between teenage mobile phone users. In Proceedings of CHI ’02. ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp.439-446.
The Design Interaction Design Foundation’
Design Thinking : https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/design-thinking
Mobile User Experience (UX) : https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/mobile-ux-design
Native vs Hybrid vs Responsive: What app flavour is best for you ? https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/native-vs-hybrid-vs-responsive-what-app-flavour-is-best-for-you